School Bus Safety Precautions a Bus Driver should Take
Tuesday September 5, 2017
Safety is the motto of school bus transportation. Millions of children travel by school bus and to keep them all safe is the responsibility of school bus drivers. For keeping the children safe and at the same time stick to the schedule, drivers should take certain precautions.
Want to know some school bus safety precautions for school bus drivers? Here are some special safety precautions a bus driver should take:
- Ensure that doors are safely closed before starting the school bus and are not in locked condition
- Never allow any child to stand in a way that hinders your vision to the front, side, or rears
- Do not permit an unauthorised person to sit in the driver's seat, or operate the school bus
- Make sure that no child place their belongings in the aisles of the school bus
- Check whether the vehicle engine of a school bus is in off condition, gear is in neutral, and the ignition key is removed, before leaving the bus
- When a school bus gets damaged and require lights, make sure that flares or reflectors is placed 30 meters in front and behind the bus
- While loading and unloading students, ensure that the bus is secure by checking around and underneath the school bus
- Before moving the bus, make sure that students get down the bus in a safe location
- Be cautious while approaching a railway crossing
- Stay calm and act promptly
- Be professional, loyal and sincere at all times
- Carry out pre-trip inspection routinely
- Provide guidance to students regarding emergency school bus evacuation procedures
- Be stern about school bus discipline and at the same time show a pleasant attitude to the students
Distracted Driving: A Threat to School Bus Safety
One of the most important things to remember is to be positive while driving a vehicle like a school bus. This positive attitude can help the driver to handle the emergency situations properly. When you are in an aggressive mood, you will naturally be unable to make swift and accurate decisions. And hence, it can be risky for occupants in the school bus.
If you can't control your mood and temper, then it can lead to serious accidents. In addition to this, school bus drivers should have adequate knowledge of revised traffic rules and regulations.
Any driver can claim that they are transporting the most precious cargo to and from school. But a skilled and professional school bus driver takes adequate safety precautions, receive proper training, and have an awareness on renewed safety rules and regulations.