15 Splendid Ways to Reduce Fuel Cost [For School Buses]
Tuesday February 17, 2015
To run any institution, fuel cost is about 30% of the total cost. So it is high time to think seriously about ways to manage fuel cost. It is a common need for every institution.
If we gave proper attention and took necessary precautions, we will be able to reduce school bus fuel cost to an extent. There are advanced technologies such as GPS School Bus Tracking systems to reduce fuel cost.
Here are some effective methods to reduce fuel cost:
1. Educate the Drivers: Make them realize that they can make a big difference in reducing the cost of fuel consumption. Let them know that reducing the amount of fuel consumption will ensure their job security and provide a better environment.
You must teach them how their driving has a major role in reducing fuel consumption cost.
2. Monitor the Route before Starting the Trip: Having a clear idea of your assigned route will help you to minimize the gear changes which results in reducing fuel consumption cost.
With the help of school bus tracking system, the driver can get a clear picture of the route which makes the driving easy. And also it helps the drivers to take the shortest path by avoiding blocks and all.
3. Speed Limits: Over speeding have several negative impacts on your vehicle’s engine and fuel cost. And moreover, it increases the risk of accidents. With the help of school bus tracking apps, you can get instant notification if the bus is running in over speed.
4. Lessen the Number of Gear Changes: Reduce the number of gear changes by thoroughly studying the routes and traffic with the help of school bus tracking system. Too much gear changes will drastically increase the consumption of fuel.
5. Avoid Overfilling: Don’t overfill the fuel tank as it can create fuel wastage. Filling fuel up to the edge of the fuel tank will easily cause overflow when the fuel gets heated either by sun or fuel return by the engine.
Thus, overfilling is dangerous as well as can cause fuel wastage which results in reducing unwanted fuel consumption cost.
6. Keep the Tires Inflated Properly: School bus tires should be inflated properly. Properly inflated tires can reduce the risk of accidents and extends the life of tire. It also improves fuel economy. So, before you start a trip, ensure that the tires are inflated properly.
7. Avoid Unwanted Idling: Surplus idling can consume a huge amount of fuel within a short span of time. With the help of fleet tracking with GPS, you can monitor and control unnecessary idling. This is also a good way of reducing the amount of fuel consumption and thus cost.
8. Do Proper Maintenance: You should maintain the vehicle properly as avoiding regular maintenance can affect your vehicle’s mileage. Proper and routine maintenance can make your bus the most fuel efficient school bus.
9. Make Use of Telecommunication Technologies: You can stop the use of school bus in any route if the student whose pickup point is on that route is on leave that day.
It can be done by informing the driver with the help of Driver Console App integrated with the school bus tracking system. This can reduce fuel consumption.
10. Reduce Wind Resistance: Don’t keep bags on the top of the bus instead keep all the bags inside the school bus. Keeping on the top can reduce the fuel efficiency by creating resistance to the wind flow. So, avoiding this can save a huge amount of fuel consumption.
11. Be ready in Advance for the Morning Trip: Before stopping the bus after the trip, do the necessary things required for the next trip. So that you don’t have to do a lot of planning before starting the trip with a cold engine as it can have lot of fuel consumption.
12. Lessen the Time Spend on Road: If possible set up a carpool system with co-workers. Limit the amount of unwanted trips as if you want to go nearby place then prefer walking. This can reduce unwanted fuel consumption.
13. No Personal Use: If you are school bus driver, then use the school bus for school purposes only not for your personal use. Avoiding personal use can also reduce fuel consumption and thus your bus can be fuel efficient school bus.
14. Lessen the Number of Bus Used: Operating more number of buses require more fuel and maintenance as compared to other vehicles.
By lessening the number of buses used can reduce a considerable amount of fuel consumption and its cost. This can be done through effective planning.
15. Try Different Fuels: Trying out different fuels is also a way to save money as some fuels are proficient but some are less expensive.