Teach the Basic Principles of Road Safety
Road safety is of great importance and it is essential for the healthy development of children. Children are most vulnerable to road accidents and injuries. This occurs due to lack of guidance and supervision by adults.
School transportation service is a strategic solution to issues related to student transportation. Eventhough school transportation is said to be safer, it is our responsibility to teach them the basic principles of road safety. Proper guidance should be given at the right time.
Why Road Safety is Important?
Road safety is important to children because of certain reasons. The behaviour of children is unpredictable. Hence it is impossible to know exactly what they will do when they confront traffic. Children are smaller in size and hence it is difficult for drivers to see them. Children usually get frightens if they find any vehicle moving towards them. They freeze for a moment. This makes the situation worse.
Children might be unaware about the safety precautions they ought to take while crossing road. Even an empty street is not devoid of dangers. It's wholly the responsibility of adults to make them understand safety precautions they must take.
Let’s begin with the most basic concepts:
- Explain to children things they need to pay attention and make them understand the consequences they face if they don’t
- Teach children basic rules while being pedestrian
- Help children learn and obey traffic rules
- Teach children to be careful while walking through driveways and hidden or narrow passages
- Make children aware about the dangers of crossing between parked vehicles
- Teach children to cross the road only through zebra crossings
Children never think about vehicles once they get out of the classroom. Their eagerness often overrides their caution in traffic. Being physically smaller children are not easily seen by drivers hence they are more vulnerable to injuries. There are certain responsibilities for drivers while driving around school.
Some tips for parents to keep their children safely are:
- Hold hands of children while crossing road
- Use conspicuous clothing for children
- Choose the safest place to cross
- Remind the child to concentrate on road as they may get distracted easily
- Always use the zebra crossing, teach them too
- Warn children to look out for cyclists or motorcyclists
- Ask your child to observe traffic carefully so that they could cross the road whenever you are not with them
Recommended Read: Is School Bus Safety The Responsibility of Drivers Alone?
School bus is one of the safest ways to travel. But accidents can occur even when the child is waiting for the bus. Parents can ask their children not to play near the road while they are waiting for bus. Always assure that the child is waiting at the allotted bus stop
While getting off the bus give them certain advices: get off the bus without pushing; after getting off the bus try not to wait near the road; wait till the bus has driven past and thus can see the road properly.
Most of the time accidents involving a child the fault would be always with the child rather than the driver. This points us to the fact that teaching the basic principles of road safety is very much necessary. Hence it is the responsibility of the parents and teachers to guide and supervise them appropriately.
Remember the fact: Saving a child is similar to saving a family
More from my site