How Important is the School Bus Driver?
Thursday February 26, 2015
Each individual connected with the school contributes something to the organization that keeps it going. When it’s about the safety of children inside schools, school guards protects them and when it’s about their safety outside the school, school bus drivers serves the best.
School bus is indeed a safety measure for students. They are dependable resources for better safety. There are a lot of factors that makes school buses different from any other means of transport. The school bus driver plays a crucial role in the safe management of school buses. Handling children and school bus requires skill and efficiency.
Many school bus drivers often feel that they are not appreciated and sometimes are disrespected too. It is important to respect and value them. Children should be taught to respect the school drivers. They take the responsibility of carrying children safe. Students must be taught about the contributions that school bus drivers hold.
Job description of school bus drivers
School bus drivers manage the task of picking up of students from stops and dropping them off at school. They also transport students and faculty to field trips or sporting events. School bus drivers often work split shifts of mornings and afternoons. They hold a very important responsibility of safe transportation of the students.
Responsibilities of a driver
- A good driver is a person who carries out his/ her duties without fail and is dependable
- Emotionally stable, so that they can efficiently carry out the relationship between parents, students, school officials and public
- Managing unexpected and unusual situation
- Taking in to consideration the welfare and need of others
- Patience and understanding
- Traffic laws must be respected and followed
- Local rules and regulations must be keenly followed
- Neat and clean appearance
- Free from alcohol and drugs
- Any bus malfunctions or needed repairs must be reported
- Delays, accidents, or other traffic and transportation situations should be reported to the school authorities using telephones or mobile two-way radios
- The condition of tires, brakes, windshield wipers, lights, oil, fuel, water, and safety equipment of the vehicle should be evaluated to ensure that everything is in working order.
- Follow the traffic rules keenly without fail
- Take care of children while boarding
- Keep students and school authority informed of possible delays
- Keep updated about the weather condition
- Contact police in case of emergency
- Help disabled children to get in and out of the bus
- Bus drivers should keep the record of children boarding bus
Responsibility of schools
There are numerous responsibilities to the schools too. They have the power to provide information to school bus drivers and make them aware of their responsibilities. Also, in a similar way, they would be able to make children and parents aware of the importance of school bus drivers.
- At the start of the academic year, hold a meeting with the school bus drivers discussing about their guidelines
- Provide drivers the list of the students travelling in their bus. The details must include home phone number of the students and address. The driver can contact the parents of the students directly if there is any problem with the students
- Students must be well-aware about the rules and regulations regarding the school bus. A signed document agreeing to follow the rules inside school buses must be taken from the students
- The outcome of breaking rules must be made clear to the students
- Any student breaking rules should be punished
- Students wit four or more suspension order received due to misbehaving or breaking ruled in school bus, shall not be eligible for travelling in the school bus
- Misbehaviour inside the school bus, including fight should be given appropriate punishments
Do not ignore drivers
Driving is a job that requires lot of professionalism and care. There are myriad of commitments which must be showcased towards the organization and students. Drivers play an important role in shaping up the good-will of the institution. They must be respected and treated with equal rights and concern.