10 Important Road Safety Rules to Teach Your Children
“For safety is not a gadget but a state of mind.” -Eleanor Everet
Parents are less concerned about the safety of children until they start to walk on their own to school bus stops, neighbour’s house or the local shops. All of a sudden a realisation that the roads are actually very dangerous for their little ones can’t help much.
Safety doesn’t happen by accident. You need to prepare a safe environment for children. School transportation provides adequate safety for the children. Most parents opt for school transport for the safe transportation of children. But, in fact you can do much more than just arranging school transport for your children. Teach them better.
Introduce Them to the Golden Rules:
“Broken tools can be replaced. You can't.” -Author Unknown
- Don’t be in a hurry while crossing roads. Stop and be cautious. Always walk in the footpath. Teach them to be attentive while walking near the streets.
“Prepare and prevent, don't repair and repent.” - Author Unknown
- Check all directions. Look look and Look! Before crossing and even while walking look in all directions. Observation never hurts. The more they are cautious the better it is.
“Alert today, alive tomorrow.” - Author Unknown
- Before crossing the road, think twice. Be sure about traffic signal. Walk only when the traffic is favourable. Hurry will never help.
“Chance takers are accident makers.” - Author Unknown
- Listen to traffic signals while crossing the road. Walk straight on the road. Children often listen to music while crossing the road or walking through the pavement. That’s not safe. Teach them to avoid electronic gadgets while on streets.
- NO RUNNING
“Safety is a cheap and effective insurance policy.” – Author Unknown
- Children have the propensity for running and leaving their guardians hand while walking in the road. Kids should remain calm on streets.
- USE CROSSROADS
“Accidents hurt – safety doesn't.” -Author Unknown
- Make it a point to teach them about the significance of crossroads. While crossing, children can make eye-contact with the driver. They must have the capability to decide when to cross. Remind them to concentrate on the road.
“Don't learn safety by accident” – Author Unknown
- Colours are not just colours when it’s a busy street. Your child must know what the traffic signals really mean, red means stop and green means go.
- NOT A PLAYZONE
“If you don't think it's safe, it probably isn't”. – Author Unknown
- Draw a limit while your youngsters play outdoors. Don't allow them to play near streets or parking areas. Teach them not to run behind their toys or ball because there are possibilities of them to land on random streets, let them request the assistance of a known grown-up, quickly.
- BRIGHT CLOTHS
“Safety isn't just a slogan; it's a way of life.” - Author Unknown
- Try to avoid dull colour outfits on the road. Teach your kids to wear bright colours even while bicycling in the streets. Bright garments attract drivers.
- SIDE WALKS
“Safety isn't expensive, it’s priceless.” – Author Unknown
- Take pedestrian roads only for walking, if you follow this rule then your child will make it a point to make it a habit. Avoid those roads where sidewalks are not available.
“Know safety, no injury. No safety, know injury.” – Author Unknown
Children before 9 years age should not be allowed to cross roads on their own because they lack the peripheral vision, hearing and judgement capabilities necessary. However, it’s important to ensure the best is taught to the children since their early years.
Children never hesitate to copy adults. Make sure that you are a good example for them. Practice the safest method before your children, for them to learn and grow. By setting a good example, you can ensure about your child’s safety outside the school transportation service circle.
Around one in fourteen of all child death between the ages 5 to 14 is due to road accidents. Serious road injuries are not rare. Teaching more about road safety measures can reduce the number of causalities. Be wise!VN:F [1.9.16_1159]10 Important Road Safety Rules to Teach Your ChildrenRated 4.0 out of 5 based on 4 ratings
More from my site